Wedding Planning Tips & Tricks
Congratulations on your engagement!
Now the excitement of planning your big day can begin! The following list is full of helpful tips and tricks for deciding all the details of your wedding.
First things first!
- Decide on your wedding date. Keep in mind the time of year and how it will relate to the decor you are wanting.
- Make your initial guest list. This will affect the ceremony and reception venue decisions as not all venues can hold the same amount of people.
- Book visits and tours for ceremony and reception locations. Remember to ask about the total occupancy to makes sure it works with your guest list, also keep in mind the atmosphere that you want for your wedding decor.
- Book your ceremony & reception venues to get your date secured.
- Choose your officiant if your ceremony venue is without if you haven’t done so yet.
- Figure out your wedding party. Who do you and your fiancee want standing up beside you. #squadgoals
Now is the fun part! You need to decide your wedding color palette. This is where your personality and your wedding style can merge to create the vision for your one of a kind event. If you are wanting a specific “theme” for your wedding this would be the time to decide on this also. You can google search or check out Pinterest but always keep in mind what is realistic and what isn’t.
Choosing Your Vendors & Special Details
The best advice I can give you when you are at this point is to find out when local bridal shows and expos are being held and attend them. They will have tons a vendors that are all willing to answer any questions you have about choosing your caterer, DJ, florists, photographers, etc…
- Decide weather or not you would like to send Save the Dates out. It’s about 50/50 on the amount of people that send save the dates out so this isn’t necessarily something you have to do. At this time you can decide if you want all of your stationary to match. Invitations, Save the Dates, programs, menus and more can all match based on how you design them.
- Many bakeries have cake tasting days. Determine the size, design and flavor of cake when choosing a decorator.
- Now it’s time to figure Check out rental & design stores to see what else you are needing.
- What floral scheme do you want? Choose florist after negotiating prices and flowers that will be available.
- Find a photographer and videographer, if you so choose.
- Start planning the honeymoon. Arrange transportation and lodging.
- How are you, your spouse, the wedding party and out-of-town guests getting to the reception? Arrange transportation, if necessary.
- Order wedding dress and bridesmaid dresses. Make sure they arrive at least 3 weeks before the wedding to allow time for alterations.
Add the Details
- Send invitations. Request RSVP 3 weeks prior to wedding in order to get accurate count.
- Plan rehearsal dinner. Arrange food, space for dinner, time available to practice, notify bridal party and parents.
- Shop for and purchase wedding bands. Arrange for them to be engraved.
- Decide on tux or suit rental company. Inform groomsmen where to get fitted.
- Choose and buy accessories needed with wedding dress and bridal party attire. Jewelry, shoes, cuff links, gloves, headpieces etc.
- Wedding gift registry. Don’t forget to sign up.
- Research specific marriage license requirements, changing last name with social security, passport (for international honeymoon), health insurance etc.
- Arrange special readings, music, and vows during wedding ceremony.
- Make or buy favors for reception and gifts for the bridal party.
- Print ceremony programs,place cards and/ or menu cards. Buy guest book and box or basket for cards.
The Final Touches
- Have trial run hair appointment to ensure the perfect up-do. Bring veil.
- Work out wedding day timing and details. Make sure vendors have access to the site when they need it.
- Ask appropriate family members or vendors to set out the extras like menu cards, favors, guest book, ceremony programs, etc.
- Get final guest list and inform caterer, hotel, banquet space, table and linen rental companies of any changes in head count.
- Make sure all contracts are signed and arrange payment of vendors.
- Have final fitting of all dresses and tuxes.
- Confirm honeymoon plans.
- Relax and enjoy the memorable day.